Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Life Hype: Couch to 5K

My health has not been the greatest over the past few years.  I had lost some weight in 2008 down to 152 only to gain it all back...now 178 again, actually since starting the program I have lost 2 pounds, so I'm 176.  Now overweight again and on high blood pressure and high cholesterol medicine I have decided to try to do something about it.  so I joined a running program.  The Fleet Feet Sports No Boundaries Training Program which is a Couch to 5K Program.  It takes you from the couch to running your first 5K in just 12 weeks. 

I am currently getting ready to start Week 3 which is 1 minute of running alternated with 2 minutes of walking for 1 1/2 miles. My first week I really struggled with breathing and my right lower leg muscle which is either my lower calf or my soleus muscle. The last week my breathing was better but I'm still struggling on some days with my right lower leg.  I have been doing some stretching and icing it as the coaches suggested.  On my days off I walk my dog for 20 minutes, then on Sundays I we go for a longer 45 minute walk.

I have also been trying to do better with my eating habits and I am doing better although there is still room for improvement.  I only drink water throughout the day.  I try to have something fairly healthy for breakfast and lunch then just eat a regular dinner, but not over do it.  I am hoping with the C25K, the walking and the small changes in eating that I will lose some weight and become healthier.  I hope to down the road, eventually be able to come off of high blood pressure and high cholesterol medicines. 

Everyone says the Fleet Feet Sports No Boundaries Program aka Couch to 5K is a great program and that it will change my life.  I hope so, I am counting on it.  I know it takes my 100% effort to do this program to make it successful and I am trying to do my best at sticking with it and attending all three weekly workouts.  So far, with the first two weeks, I have managed to do so.  I am just going to keep on going best I can.  And hopefully this program will have a great payoff and in the end I will be able to run a 5K and become a consistent runner.









Today's Quote:

Race or no race, Fast or slow, We all come from the same place:  The Very First Step!

No comments:

Post a Comment