Thursday, November 15, 2012

Life Hype: Memorable Holidays

You know I was just thinking back to 2005 when the holidays was a very tough time of the year for me and my son. I had lost my job, my car and was barely hanging on to my house.  We had no heat or hot water.  We had to heat up water on the kitchen stove to take a bath and on top of it my refrigerator wasn't cooling properly.  We hardly had any food.  And certainly no money for a Thanksgiving meal, let alone Christmas gifts or a Christmas dinner. 

This was the one time in my life I was totally surprised and shocked by the kindness of strangers and friends.  Around Thanksgiving, my son's boss showed up at my door one day with a co-worker and had a huge box full of a wonderful Thanksgiving meal for us.  I was so surprised and just so touched all I could do was give them a big hug and thank them from the bottom of my heart all while crying.  I'm thankful to say we had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal after all.


Then at Christmas time, one of my dearest friends and his mother came to my house one day and told me to relax while they cleaned my house for me as a gift.  They also totally cleaned out my refrigerator and cleaned out the dust from under the bottom which solved my problem of my refrigerator not cooling properly.  They also brought over a gift for me, it was a AM/FM CD Player.  And in addition brought me a box full of groceries donated by the food pantry.  Then they took me to the mission where I got a few warm winter clothes and the mission also gave us a $50 Gift Card to Walmart for Christmas.  And that's not all.  My son's co-workers also gave him a Christmas card with about $250 in it and gave him a gift too.  And of course, we received nice gifts from my family.  So as it turned out we had a rather nice Christmas after all.

It just goes to show you, we thought these were going to be the worst holidays ever for us and they actually turned out to be one of the best.  Not just the gifts, but this was the first time we had ever seen real kindness from others.  It was very touching.  We still went through some pretty rough times for the next three years, but somehow we made it through thanks to the grace of god and kindness of others. 

I've had some nice holidays since then, but I can honestly say none have felt as wonderful nor held the same wonderful meaning as the holidays of 2005.  I will never forget the kindness of others that year.  








Today's Life Quote:

In a world full of people who couldn't care less, be someone who couldn't care more.  ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment